Newbury Fire Department responds to smoke condition caused by furnace and hot water heater

1 min read

NEWBURY –– On Saturday, April 20, at approximately 10:05 a.m., the Newbury Fire Department responded to a report of smoke in a building at 167 Elm St.

Chief Dave Evans and Ambulance 3 from the Byfield Station were the first to arrive on scene, finding smoke coming from the home’s front door. They assisted in evacuating two residents.

Additional units from the Byfield Station (Engine 2 and Ladder 3) and the Morgan Avenue Station (Engine 10, Engine 9, and Ladder 8) also responded.

Upon entering the home’s basement, firefighters determined that the smoke was not caused by a fire, but rather a malfunction involving the furnace and hot water heater. The units were shut off and the home was ventilated.

The Rowley Fire Department provided mutual aid at the scene, while firefighters from Newburyport and Georgetown covered Newbury stations.

Chief Evans expressed satisfaction with the large response from both fire stations, despite the incident not being a structure fire.

The homeowner has contacted their maintenance company to address the issue with the well-maintained furnace and hot water heater, which caused no damage to the home.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.