Newport, NH fugitive arrested after multi-town high-speed chase

1 min read

NEWPORT, NH — A high-speed pursuit that began with a traffic stop attempt by a New Hampshire State Police Trooper ended with the arrest of a Newport man on Saturday, after a series of dangerous maneuvers that led multiple law enforcement agencies on a chase through several towns.

The incident started at approximately 12:30 p.m. when a trooper tried to stop a green Toyota Tacoma for a traffic violation.

The driver, later identified as 36-year-old Daniel Boothby of Newport, fled at a high rate of speed, prompting the trooper to discontinue the chase due to safety concerns.

Boothby’s erratic driving continued as he nearly collided with several vehicles while traveling on the wrong side of John Stark Highway, according to Newport Police.

An officer attempted to intercept the pickup on Pine Street and Oak Street, but lost sight of it shortly after.

In a bid to protect participants at the Newport Winter Carnival, an off-duty officer positioned his cruiser to deter the suspect from driving near the event.

Boothby, however, maneuvered around the cruiser and continued his reckless driving spree, eventually leading into Sunapee.

An attempt by a New London officer to stop Boothby on Interstate 89 was also called off after the pickup truck exited the interstate at high speed.

The pursuit came to an end when Boothby crashed in the town of Salisbury and attempted to flee on foot, but was detained by an Andover officer.

Boothby, who was on parole for a First Degree Assault conviction and out on bail for a drug possession charge, was taken to Concord Hospital for an evaluation.

He faces multiple charges, including Reckless Conduct with a Deadly Weapon, Disobeying an Officer, and Resisting Arrest.

He is being held without bail and is scheduled for arraignment in Newport District Court on Feb. 12.

The arrest was the result of a coordinated effort by several police departments and the New Hampshire Department of Corrections.

The investigation is ongoing, and additional charges are anticipated.

Witnesses or those with information are urged to contact Newport Police Sergeant Dakota A. Titorenko.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.