GRAND ISLE — Police say around 40 cows were killed in a fire that broke out in Grand Isle on Monday.
The fire took place at a dairy barn located on Griswold Road at around 6:50 p.m.
Police say a neighbor noticed flames coming for the north end of the barn and called 911 to report the fire.
The neighbor went to the barn and worked to get some of the cows trapped inside out of harm’s way.
When fire crews arrived, they found that the structure was fully involved with fire.
Fire fighters and residents were able to open doors which allowed a majority of the cows trapped inside the burning barn a way out.
Approximately 40 cows died in the fire with another 140 escaping the flames.
Fire investigators say a farm worker had used a propane torch to thaw frozen manure around the door.
Police say that this started a smoldering fire that later ignited surrounding combustible materials in the area.
The fire is cause is accidental and there were no injuries reported during the fire or during the fire suppression.
Police say the barn was completely destroyed with the loss estimated to be in excess of $300,000.