Plymouth buildings engulfed in three-alarm fire, nearly 450 evacuated

1 min read

PLYMOUTH — A three-alarm fire engulfed two commercial buildings on Main Street, leading to the evacuation of nearly 450 people from a nearby performance center, according to Plymouth Fire-Rescue officials.

The blaze, which started at around 9:10 p.m. on April 20, ripped through the former Peppercorn Natural Food Store and Downtown Pizza at 41-45 Main Street.

Firefighters faced heavy fire conditions upon arrival, prompting Captain Peck to call for a second alarm.

The situation escalated, leading Deputy Chief Pierce to further elevate the response to three alarms.

The nearby Flying Monkey Performance Center, hosting a concert with full capacity, saw a successful evacuation of approximately 450 patrons and staff, all managed without incident.

Firefighters conducted a primary search and confirmed that no occupants were in the burning buildings.

Containing the fire was particularly challenging due to the close proximity of the structures and complex architectural features, including multiple ceilings and roof structures.

As the fire spread to these void spaces, crews were forced to withdraw and switch to defensive operations.

During the incident, one firefighter sustained a shoulder injury and was subsequently treated at Speare Memorial Hospital, from which he was released.

Mutual aid was provided by several neighboring fire departments, and support services were also acknowledged, including the NH Electric Coop., Lakes Region Mutual Fire Aid, Plymouth Police Department, Plymouth Village Water and Sewer District, NH State Fire Marshal’s Office, and Speare Memorial Hospital.

Local businesses, Chase Street Market, Café Monte Alto, and individuals, Chris and Ally Robbins, contributed by supplying food and beverages to the responders.

The cause of the fire remains under investigation by Plymouth Fire-Rescue and the NH State Fire Marshal’s Office.

Chief Morrison praised the rapid response and coordination of the firefighting efforts, which contained the fire to the two initially involved buildings.

Additionally, the manager of the Flying Monkey was commended for quick thinking that included detecting the fire, activating the alarm system, and calling 911.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.