Skier from Bow rescued after triggering avalanche on Mount Washington

1 min read

BOW — A Bow man sustained a severe leg injury after causing an avalanche while skiing in Mount Washington’s Great Gulf on Friday.

Dominic Torro, 30, was descending “Airplane Gully” with a companion when the avalanche occurred, New Hampshire Fish & Game reported.

After the incident, which happened around 11:30 a.m., Torro’s friend and another skier who was nearby rushed to his aid.

The two skiers administered first aid to Torro, called 9-1-1, and initiated the rescue operation.

The emergency call was initially received by the US Forest Service Snow Rangers, who then communicated it to New Hampshire Fish and Game conservation officers, who were at that time investigating a deer case.

A conservation officer discussed rescue strategies with a snow ranger.

Fish and Game Sgt. Glenn Lucas stated, “Snow rangers are responsible for the Cutler River Drainage area, but they are always ready to help anywhere in the White Mountains.

Their willingness to assist was evident as the conservation officer coordinated with the National Guard Helicopter and the snow ranger called in Mountain Rescue Service (MRS) personnel.”

While the National Guard helicopter was being dispatched, teams from the Mount Washington State Parks and Mount Washington Auto Road prepared a “SnoCat” to transport the MRS team up the Auto Road to the summit.

The MRS team was ready to hike to the skier should the helicopter be unable to complete the rescue.

During the preparations, the injured skier and those aiding him remained in phone contact with rescue teams.

Due to the medical situation’s urgency, a conference call with a seasoned backcountry paramedic provided guidance to stabilize Torro.

The skiers cleared a space on a slope for the paramedic and litter to be lowered from the hovering helicopter.

At 3:19 p.m., the helicopter crew located Torro, lowering a medic and litter to him. After a brief departure to prepare for evacuation, they returned at 3:55 p.m. to hoist Torro and the medic aboard.

The assisting skiers opted to hike out and ski down independently.

They safely reached their vehicles and left the mountain.

Torro was airlifted to Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center in Lebanon for his injuries.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.