Ipswich officers and firefighters team up to tackle overnight blaze

1 min read

IPSWICH — A two-alarm fire was swiftly brought under control early Thursday morning thanks to the collaborative efforts of Ipswich public safety officers, according to Fire Chief Paul Parisi and Police Chief Paul Nikas.

At 12:29 a.m., dispatchers received a distress call from a resident at 89 North Ridge Road.

Police were the first to arrive at the scene, confirming an active fire, closely followed by the fire department.

The officers played a crucial role by helping to stretch a feeder line to a hydrant, allowing Engine 2 firefighters to engage the blaze.

Firefighters conducted a thorough search of the home and confirmed it was empty.

Additional support was summoned, and mutual aid partners contributed to the firefighting operations.

Chief Parisi emphasized the importance of the police officers’ assistance in establishing a steady water supply, which was key to the success of the operation.

He also highlighted the critical presence of four fire department members during the overnight shift, which he credited with the rapid deployment of hose lines and quick containment of the fire.

One firefighter was transported to Beverly Hospital for shortness of breath but has since been treated and released.

Rehab 5 crews provided necessary rehabilitation supplies, and the Ipswich Electric Light Department cut off power to the affected home.

The homeowner, Kathleen Young, along with her daughter and cat, escaped unharmed, alerted by working smoke alarms.

Chief Parisi used the incident to remind the public about the importance of functional smoke detectors and carbon monoxide alarms.

The fire inflicted an estimated $100,000 in damage to the $159,900-valued property.

Mutual aid was received from Topsfield and Rowley, with additional station coverage by Wenham, Hamilton, and Manchester-by-the-Sea firefighters.

While the exact cause of the fire is still under investigation by the Ipswich Fire Department and the State Police Fire and Explosion Investigation Unit, it is currently not considered suspicious, according to Chief Parisi.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.