DERBY LINE — Borderline Players proudly brings to stage an original comedy, Bride of Memphré, from renowned Stanstead playwright and humorist Ross Murray. The play is set to premiere as part of the Local Artists Showcase at the historic Haskell Opera House, spanning two weekends: August 18-20 and August 25-27, 2023.
In this comic venture, Dani and Cynthia eagerly anticipate their wedding celebration at Lake Memphremagog’s Blueberry Point. Expecting a peaceful ceremony, they are suddenly confronted by Dex, a swimmer with tales of an encounter with Memphré, the lake’s legendary creature. His claims hint at potentially world-altering consequences, resulting in shaken foundations and exposed secrets.
Ross Murray, who also assumes the director’s chair, revisits border mythology in this second original for the Borderline Players. His 2019 hit, All Together Now, revolved around the speculated Beatles reunion at the Haskell Opera House. Murray comments, “Legends offer a unique canvas for creating original narratives. With Bride of Memphré, the quest for truth takes center stage. How do we discern the reality of myths, or for that matter, love?”
The ensemble cast, hailing from both Vermont and Quebec, represents both English and French backgrounds.
- Dates: August 18-19-20 and 25-26-27, 2023
- Showtimes: Fridays and Saturdays at 7 pm, Sundays at 3 pm
- Ticket Pricing: $20 for adults, $15 for seniors, and $15 for youth (12-17)
- Purchase Venues: MAC Center for the Arts, Newport; Haskell Free Library, and Colby-Curtis Museum, Stanstead
- Online: borderlineplayers.org (U.S. funds only)
- Advance Reservations: Contact via email at [email protected] or through Facebook
A gentle reminder to patrons: While passports aren’t necessary for entry to the Opera House, it’s advised to have identification available for border authorities.